The Question a Couple Asked Me at a Summer Wedding That I'll Never Forget
The Question a Couple Asked Me at a Summer Wedding That I'll Never Forget
A few summers ago, I officiated a wedding beneath a canopy of sprawling oak trees just before sunset.
It was one of those Texas evenings where the heat had finally started to loosen its grip. The golden light filtered through the branches, guests chatted quietly as they found their seats, and everything felt calm in a way that weddings rarely do.
The guest list was small. Fewer than 30 people. No elaborate production. No dramatic entrances. No oversized floral installations that required their own zip code.
Just the couple and the people they loved most.
As I stood with the groom a few minutes before the ceremony began, he glanced toward the aisle, took a deep breath, and asked me a question I'll never forget.
"Sabrina, what if it goes by so fast that we miss it?"
Of all the questions couples ask before a wedding, that wasn't the one I expected.
I've been asked:
What if I cry?
What if I trip?
What if I forget my vows?
What if it rains?
What if my Uncle Bob decides this is the perfect time to share his opinions?
But this question was different. What if it goes by so fast that we miss it?
For a moment, I could see exactly what he meant.
Because underneath all the planning, all the excitement, all the anticipation, that's one of the biggest fears couples carry into their wedding day. Not that something will go wrong. But that something will go right... and they'll be too busy, too distracted, too overwhelmed to actually experience it.
And honestly? It's a valid concern.
The Wedding Day Everyone Dreams About
Most couples spend months planning their wedding. Some spend years. They research venues. Compare vendors. Create Pinterest boards. Debate seating charts. Choose songs. Taste cakes. Finalize timelines. Answer questions. Respond to emails.
And before they know it, the wedding day arrives.
Suddenly, the thing they've spent countless hours planning is happening in real time.
Family members are arriving. Hair and makeup are underway. Photographers are snapping pictures. Vendors are setting up. Guests are finding their seats.
The day begins moving faster and faster.
Many couples tell me afterward that it feels like someone pressed the fast-forward button.
One minute they're getting ready. The next they're driving away as newlyweds.
That's why the groom's question stuck with me.
Because he wasn't asking about logistics.
He was asking about presence.
![]() |
What Couples Really Need
Couples often think they need a perfect timeline. Or perfect weather. Or perfect flowers. Or perfect seating charts.
Those things are wonderful.
But they're not what couples need most.
What couples actually need is confidence. They need to know someone is paying attention to the details so they don't have to. They need someone who can quietly handle problems. Someone who understands the flow of a wedding day. Someone who can gently guide them back into the moment when anxiety starts trying to steal the experience.
That's one of the reasons I love what I do.
Whether I'm serving as an officiant, coordinator, or helping couples create a meaningful ceremony, my role isn't just about logistics.
It's about helping people be present.
Presence Creates the Memories
Think back to your favorite family gatherings. The moments you remember aren't usually the perfectly folded napkins. Or the exact shade of flowers. Or whether every detail unfolded exactly according to plan.
You remember how it felt. You remember laughing. You remember hugging someone you hadn't seen in years. You remember the tears. The stories. The connection.
Wedding days work the same way. The moments that stay with us aren't always the ones we expect.
Sometimes it's the way your partner looks at you during the ceremony. Sometimes it's hearing your grandparents laugh together at dinner. Sometimes it's seeing your friends dancing like nobody's watching. Sometimes it's simply standing still for a moment and realizing:
We're really here.
This is happening.
Why Smaller Weddings Often Feel Different
Interestingly, the wedding where that groom asked me his unforgettable question was also one of the most intimate weddings I've ever officiated. Because there were fewer guests, everything felt different.
The couple wasn't racing from table to table. They weren't trying to greet 200 people in three hours. They weren't constantly looking at the clock.
They had time. Time to talk. Time to laugh. Time to sit down and eat dinner. Time to actually experience their wedding. And because they had time, they had presence.
That doesn't mean every couple should have a small wedding. Not at all.
I've seen beautiful weddings with 20 guests and beautiful weddings with 300.
The lesson isn't about guest count. The lesson is about intentionality.
The Myth of the Perfect Wedding
One of the biggest misconceptions in wedding planning is the idea that everything has to be perfect.
Perfect weather.
Perfect timeline.
Perfect flowers.
Perfect family dynamics.
Perfect photos.
Perfect everything.
The truth? Perfect is overrated.
I've officiated weddings where the flower girl sat down halfway down the aisle and refused to move. I've seen wind rearrange carefully styled hairstyles. I've watched unexpected rain showers create some of the most beautiful photographs of the entire day.
The weddings people remember most aren't perfect. They're personal. They're authentic. They're filled with moments that feel real.
Your guests won't remember whether your timeline was off by seven minutes. They'll remember how they felt watching you exchange vows.
The Answer I Gave Him
So what did I tell the groom?
I smiled and said:
"Only if you spend the whole day worrying about missing it."
Then I told him something I tell many couples.
Pause.
Several times throughout the day, just pause. Look around. Take it in. Notice the people who are there. Notice your partner. Notice the atmosphere. Notice the joy.
Give yourself permission to stop performing and start experiencing. The beautiful thing is that he did exactly that. Throughout the evening, I watched him and his bride take little moments together.
Nothing dramatic. Just small pauses. A quiet conversation. A shared laugh. A slow walk through the reception space. Those moments became some of their favorite memories.
Why Experience Matters
One of the greatest gifts an experienced wedding professional provides is peace of mind.
Not because we can control everything. We can't. But because we've seen so much. We've seen weather surprises. Timeline adjustments. Vendor issues. Family dynamics. Last-minute changes. And we've learned how to navigate them.
Experience allows us to stay calm when others become stressed. It allows us to solve problems quickly. It allows us to anticipate challenges before they happen.
Most importantly, it allows couples to focus on each other instead of focusing on every tiny detail.
Your Wedding Is Not a Performance
Somewhere along the way, weddings became events that many couples feel pressured to produce. The pressure is everywhere. Social media. Pinterest. Family expectations. Industry trends.
Everyone seems to have an opinion about what a wedding should look like.
But here's what I've learned after standing with hundreds of couples. The weddings that feel the most meaningful are rarely the ones trying to impress everyone.
They're the ones focused on connection. The ones focused on people. The ones focused on love. The ones focused on creating an experience rather than putting on a performance.
What Couples Need Most on Their Wedding Day
After years of officiating weddings, coordinating celebrations, and helping couples create meaningful ceremonies, I've come to believe that most couples need four things.
Someone who understands weddings.
Someone who stays calm under pressure.
Someone who knows how to adapt.
And someone who genuinely cares about their experience.
Because when those things are in place, everything feels easier. The couple can relax. The family can enjoy the day. The guests can celebrate. And the memories can unfold naturally.
The Question Worth Asking
That groom's question has stayed with me all these years because it's bigger than weddings.
What if it goes by so fast that we miss it?
The truth is, wedding days do go by quickly.
Incredibly quickly.
But when you surround yourself with the right people, trust your team, and allow yourself to be fully present, you don't miss it.
You experience it.
Every laugh.
Every tear.
Every meaningful moment.
And years later, those are the things you'll remember. Not whether everything was perfect. But whether it felt like you.
What's Your Biggest Wedding Question?
Every couple has one.
The question they're carrying around but haven't asked yet.
Maybe it's about family dynamics.
Maybe it's about planning.
Maybe it's about the ceremony.
Maybe it's something completely different.
If you're planning your wedding and there's a question keeping you up at night, I'd love to hear it.
Reach out to Unforgettable Beginnings by Sabrina and let's start a real conversation.
Because sometimes the answers couples need most don't come from Google.
They come from talking with someone who's walked through this journey with hundreds of couples before them.


Comments
Post a Comment